Yuri’s practice focuses on energy and natural resources, including legal support for oil and gas projects. He advises on M&A transactions, due diligence, procurement of goods by state enterprises in Russia, as well as general corporate matters. Yuri has considerable experience negotiating production sharing agreements (PSA) for Russian and foreign investors in Russia and abroad.
He participated in structuring and implementation of a variety of large-scale exploration projects, including offshore drilling operations on Russian continental shelf.
In particular, Yuri provided legal support for exploration projects in the Barents, Kara, Pechora and Black Seas, including drafting of drilling and service contracts and procurement of combined energy insurance.
- Hvalinskoye PSA in the Caspian Sea (Russian area) – drafting and negotiations. Represented the Kazakhstan investor on the first stage and the joint venture on a later stage;
- Kurmangazy PSA in the Caspian Sea (Kazakhstan area) – drafting and negotiations. Represented the Russian investor;
- PSA in Turkmenistan – drafting and negotiations. Represented the Russian joint venture investor;
- PSA in Algeria – tender process, negotiations of the agreement and further post-execution legal support;
- advised on structuring and provided further support with respect to international concession agreement on exploration of hydrocarbons in UAE;
- organized a due diligence and drafted transaction documents on the USD 1.5 bln acquisition by Inter RAO UES of 49% stake in Russian gas-producing company Northgas;
- organized a due diligence of Quarz Group – a Russian engineering group of companies within its acquisition by Inter RAO UES;
- organized a due diligence and drafted transaction documents on the acquisition of 25% stake in SPAR Moscow Holdings (Russian branch of a worldwide global retailer).
2016 - present
Ivanyan & Partners law firm
2013 – 2016
RN-Shelf-Arctic (exploration subsidiary of Rosneft Oil Company)
Head of legal
2000 – 2013
KFK-Alliance law firm
Partner, Senior associate
Moscow State Institute of International Relations (MGIMO)
Diploma in Law, international trade law department